Jan 27, 2012

Conference on Breaking Cycles of Trauma


This week I had the great opportunity to attend a three-day conference on Brumana, a nice town in the mountains with good fresh air.  The conference was about helping victims of trauma, whether personal or collective, to break the cycle of violence.  By collective trauma, I mean something like a genocide or living under a brutal regime.  It is something that traumatizes a group of people and the emotional and behavioral symptoms of that trauma are widespread throughout the community.  One of the reasons why I loved studying in Lebanon during my junior year of University is because even if we were studying a topic that I could have studied in the U.S., the discussion would be so different because of the collective experience of my classmates.  This week in the conference, I was very aware of the fact that studying and discussing trauma and cycles of violence with Lebanese and Syrian citizens would be very different from taking a class on the same subject in the U.S.  We discussed the war and oppressive regimes.  When we talked about the cycle of unhealed trauma leading to a continuous cycle of violence, we got into small groups and had to make dramas to show how this would look in real life.  My group created a drama which showed our fear that in these countries, those who get rid of the current regimes and are the next to sit in the palaces, will adopt the same behaviors as the previous regimes without realizing they have become just as bad.  The cycle continues because there is no reconciliation between the warring groups, they continue to fear and hate each other.  It was an interesting time to encounter such a workshop, right as I began my second week in Lebanon.  It was a good introduction back into Lebanon and my work to have the chance to connect with Lebanese and Syrians on these increasingly relevant issues.