Feb 24, 2012

General update...


I have now been in Lebanon for over a month and I just want to give everyone a practical update about how I am and what my days are like.  As far as the work goes, honestly, the first month has been a bit scattered. I have been between two different organizations, meeting many new people, being assigned many different odd jobs, trying to understand the politics of working in organizations that are reliant on donations, often from European countries, and mostly asking God how I can be most useful in this time and place.  Now I understand more than I did a month ago, but I still have a lot to learn and will need more time to really settle in to my work.  However, I must say that I am most thankful that not a day goes by without some little adventure and many new things learned. 

In my free time I go running or walking by the sea which is about a ten minute walk from my place. I read on the long bus rides across Beirut.  For those of you who always want to know what I’m reading, the current book is “Dr. Zhivago” and I’m liking it a lot.  I’m picking up lots of new Arabic words here and there and thinking about signing up for a class though the thought of adding something like that to my schedule now is a bit overwhelming.  We’ll see.  I’m also trying to spend time with my grandparents every week.  They live in a suburb of Beirut called “Sabtieh” and usually I spend one or two nights a week at their place.  I enjoy the constant smell of Jedo’s hookah and watching Turkish soap operas with my Teta.  Also enjoying my old friends from the year I studied abroad in Lebanon and meeting new people as well.  I have settled into my place well and really love my room and my quiet time though I miss my little brother, Elie, walking into my room all the time.  Yes, I miss Elie, that is the biggest problem in Lebanon!

Honestly, this is a crazy place as everyone who has been here knows.  The smell in Beirut is awful, the bus drivers stop to get themselves coffee and cigarettes while the passengers sit waiting in the bus and you find bombed out buildings crumbling next to brand new hotels.  I never get bored here.  And sometimes at just the right time of day, the sun floods in between the cracks of those buildings and a warm fresh wind blows in off the sea and I can understand why people still want to come back after all its done to them.

I have found an English-speaking church called “All Saints” which I can walk to and I enjoy going to sing familiar hymns and hear the message.  In everything I do, whether it is in work or church or relationships, my goal is to know more about God’s love and share it with other people.  Please pray that in whatever I do, my heart is bound to this commandment.  And continue in your prayers for Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, Iraq, peace in the Middle East, in all the world, in all our hearts…it will come.