Feb 6, 2012

Don't stop praying for Syria...

Everyday, I have the freedom to safely travel to work, the grocery store, to my friend's home or just out for a walk by the sea.  I am living in Lebanon, perhaps only a one-hour drive to Syria's border, and still, because my daily life is so comfortable, I am easily consumed by it and forget to think about and pray for my neighbors as I should.  The following is an e-mail that I got this morning from a friend of my family whose family is in Syria.  Please read this personal account of one family's situation and remember that there are too many more.  Remember Syria and our Christian brothers and sisters every time you pray and I will try to do the same.
 
"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). 
 
Dear friends,
 
Hope you are doing well.
 
My mother, sister and her family live in the hot area of Homs district in a predominant Christian area called “the Christian Valley.” They are less than 2 miles from the famous Crusaders castle, Krak des Chevaliers (https://sn2prd0202.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=b7jGPaMRREmDWuQ3ZGVA3AdYtTM6uM4I8KN7a3MDtT0Nuu6nykp_YJ2g5v0EOZVXJLJgF_DN8ds.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fen.wikipedia.org%2fwiki%2fKrak_des_Chevaliers)
 
I was on the phone this morning with my mom and sister. I am sad to tell you that Jihadists armed groups have controlled the Krak des Chevaliers now. They are also issuing calls for Jihad from the mosque next to the Krak. I also just heard from the news that three police men from the town police station were slaughtered. All three police men are Muslims. I asked mom, sister and her family to come to Lebanon, but they insist of staying at home. People in the area are so worried and children are so scared. Your prayers are much appreciated. Thank you.
 
The last three days have seen unprecedented violence in Syria. Militant groups are using all means to force the UN security Council to intervene and it seems that the one way to do that is by raising up the level of bloodshed and chaos in Syria.
 
LORD, have mercy!
 
With best regards,
Yours truly,