Mar 25, 2013

Visit to an ancient Russian Orthodox Church

 
This weekend I went to an Armenian Evangelical Church in the town of Stepanavan by the Georgian border for Palm Sunday.  Of course, the sermon was in Armenian but I could grasp the main ideas.  A couple young girls passed out greens to the congregation and people waved them as we sang hymns.
 
In the afternoon, I went to a tiny village near Stepanavan and found this old church.  It is a Russian Orthodox Church as you can see, especially from the design of the steeples.  Unfortunately, it is all locked up and is falling apart like many of the oldest and most beautiful churches in Armenia.  I don't know why but I was fascinated by this church.  I just kept walking around and around.  I wonder what it might have been like in that church on a Palm Sunday morning hundreds of years ago.