Jan 21, 2013

Christmas programs for children

Last week I went to a few different schools and centers where my organization (AMAA) made Christmas programs for the children.  I already posted some pictures from the orphanage for the handicapped children.  In the next days we went to a school for children with mental and physical handicaps and to a rehabilitation center and temporary home for children who come from dangerous living situations.  The children stay in this home (the only one of its kind in Armenia) while the center's staff try to work with the families to solve the problems and hopefully be able to safely place the child back in his or her home.  Each program included games, Christmas songs, theater, a cartoon film about the Biblical Christmas story, dancing and gifts for the children at the end.  The gifts included hats, scarves, books and sweets.  The kids were joyful and excited as you can see in the following pictures.  Those who know me well know that I love children, maybe more than the average person, and while it is extremely difficult for me to visit place after place and find children who have been abandoned or are living in very poor conditions, it is a blessing that for the first time, I am also in a position where I can do something small to help.